Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gratitude Month

I made it to November.  I love the Thanksgiving holiday.  I think I've finally settled down to this being my favorite holiday.  I love to celebrate the holiday the whole month of November.  I try to celebrate it the whole year.

While I was praying this morning, I was saying to the Lord that I wanted Him to be thankful for me.  I quickly admitted that He was perfectly awesome at being thankful but that I wanted His gratitude to go deeper because of my gratitude towards Him.  I came to the conclusion that I wanted Him to trust me because of the gratitude I regularly offer to Him.

So, I'm pondering that for a while.  When we receive gratitude from others, it's natural to want to give them more of us.  Whether in the form of confidence or gifts, we trust them with more of who we are.  And as they continue to prove their loyalty?, not sure if that's the right word, we trust them with more.  I'm working this out a bit here.

When my children are heartfelt in their expressions of gratitude, I am filled with love and trust them more.  I give them more.  On the other hand, when they're whiney and ungrateful, I pull back and don't want to give them much at all.  And I'm talking about stuff like the extras....ipods, friends over, staying up later...that type of thing.

Gratitude, as stated by President Monson last year, is the parent of all the other virtues.  I can see how being grateful really generates more of all the good feelings (virtues), which allows me to be happier and much more content.  Gratitude keeps away the fears that plague us.  Gratitude helps me want to be of service to others and step outside my comfort zone.

Gratitude is good. I pray for more of it.  President Monson said that as we practice it more and more, it will eventually be a way of life for us.  I'm hoping I get there sooner than later.

I do have to thank my parents again for teaching me the basics of gratitude.  Without their guidance and example, I would be starting off at a different point entirely.  I hope to be able to do the same for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment