Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A few weeks ago, the kids and I were headed up north of Philly to pick up our 1/4 side beef. One mile from my house is a bunch of construction going on--something to do with the Turnpike.  I knew there was construction and I didn't think I was going that fast....but a policeman thought I was.

It's a 35mph zone during construction.  I was doing 54mph.  I was shocked and angry when I was pulled over.  I was amazed and dumbfounded...nearly speechless.  I really couldn't believe it.  The officer was very nice to me but kept interrupting my efforts to talk.  I got frustrated with him.  Quite angry actually.  He really made me made because I felt he was patronizing me. 

He took my license and registration and went back to his car.  I had a bit of time to calm down and realize my fault in the matter.  The kids were trying to take my side, but ultimately, if I was speeding....I was speeding.  My fault.

The officer came back.  I apologized for being a snot.  I cried.  I cried a lot.  I felt like a dumb woman.  But, I was truly sorry for being snotty to him.  He told me he wasn't going to charge me with anything.  At which point I cried harder.  He also warned me that in a construction zone the fines and points are doubled.  It would've been $300 and 8 points on my license.  I was just so grateful.  

As I pulled away, I couldn't stop crying and offering my gratitude to the Lord.  I learned at that moment how God uses others to do His work.  I feel strongly that because that police officer was a good man and trying to do his job with diligence that the Lord softened his heart towards me.  I believe that with all my heart.

I cried a lot as I thought of it.  We can be merciful to others and do God's will.  I deserved a ticket and all those dang points.  BUT!!!! - that officer chose to be merciful to me.  Isn't that a wonderful lesson?  Justice demanded that I receive a punishment.....the officer had the authority to use his judgement and allow me to "go free".  

What a wonderful lesson on the Atonement I received that Thursday morning.  I taught it to the children as we drove also.  I've reflected it on it ever since.  

I'm so thankful for the increase of gratitude I have been blessed with recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment